The Big Moment...I'm Pregnant!!!
It was around that time of month so I assumed that the
cramps must be the usual ones before my monthly arrival. But then I noticed
that my body felt different. I dismissed these signs thinking that it was just
my imagination, but then I was a few days late so I stopped at Target and
picked up a few at home pregnancy tests. The first one was a positive so I
immediately tested out another one that also showed a positive response. I
freaked out a little bit. My husband wasn’t home yet and was arriving a little
bit later than usual. He walks in the door and I greet him. He sees a funny
look on my face and I say, “Why don’t you go look in the bathroom?” and he
immediately responds with, “Are you pregnant?” He is completely calm and I’m
freaking out. Then his phone rings twice and he answers both calls while I’m
having an emotional breakdown. I tell
him that it doesn’t matter that it’s the night before Thanksgiving, I have to go
to a clinic so they can tell me if this is real or not. He calmly responds that
it’s probably true if both tests are positive, but I exclaim that I have to
know whether or not it’s officially true.
What Do I Do Now?
We called different places to see if they could get me in
last minute. Every place said it was too late. I set up an appointment for
Friday morning, but that wasn’t soon enough. I needed to know now! We finally
found a clinic fifteen minutes away that said they were slow and would be able
to probably fit me in right away. They gave me a cup to pee in and I waited for
my name to be called while the test results were being evaluated. Finally, I
heard my name. They checked my weight, asked me questions about how I was
feeling and my general health. Then I heard it, “Yes, the test results came
back positive. You are pregnant.” All I could respond with was, “Are you sure?
Could it be wrong?” The man responded that, yes, of course the results could be
wrong, but that the chances of that were slim. Logic would show that I was in
fact pregnant.
We had only
been trying for a few months. I had assumed I would still have
months and months before this would happen. Everyone says to not worry if it
takes 6 months to a
year before you get pregnant so surely this couldn’t have
already happened, but this was really happening. I was excited, but it also
didn’t feel real. Are you ever really prepared to hear life changing news like
this? It’s like someone is telling you, “Congratulations! Now you may procede
with your life forever changing. You will never have all of that time alone to
yourself for another twenty years. You know all of that extra spending money
that you’ve had while it’s only you and your husband? Well, that’s all done
too. From now on, you will be buying random things for your children and
feeding another mouth so no more impulse spending for you! You know all of
those nights you spend going out with your friends? Well, that’s done too. From
now on, you will have a child with you when you hang out with your friends
unless your husband can watch the kid or by some miracle someone else will
watch them for you. Oh yeah, congratulations and good luck. Life will never be
the same for you. Good luck with all of that.
The Dilemma of When to Tell
Then I had to survive Thanksgiving with my husband’s family
and my family without telling my family that I was pregnant. I’m the type of
person that loves to tell people things immediately when I’m excited about
them. And here I am with one of the biggest things to ever happen to me having
to keep it inside and wait for the right time. Meanwhile, I didn’t drink any
alcohol all day at Thanksgiving while everyone else was drinking. I normally
drink at least a drink or two so this was obviously unique behavior for me. I
feel like it must be obvious. They must know but they don’t say anything.
Then there’s Thanksgiving with my family, my sister is seven
months pregnant so we are talking about babies all day. Everyone is talking
about how excited they are for her baby to be born, and I’m just dying to tell
them that they have more than one child to look forward to in the next year. I
just know that they’re going to freak out, but I have to stuff it. I just say
that I can’t wait for my nephew to arrive and leave out how excited I am that
my baby will only be five months younger than my nephew. I don’t know if my
baby will be a boy or girl, but I hope that they will be good friends
regardless of whether they are the same gender.
This was just the beginning of a life-changing adventure that I had in front of me. I want to share the journey and all of the things that I have to learn along the way with you!

Comments
Post a Comment